Re-Seasoning Your Cast Iron Cookware
Living in the South, you know that a quality cast-iron pan is the secret to great tasting cornbread and crispy fried foods. What you may not know is that if your cast iron looks more gray than black or if foods are really beginning to stick when you’re frying up your favorites, then friend, it’s time to RE-SEASON!
Wash your pot or pan with hot, soapy water and scrub with a stiff brush. You can use soap liberally as it is important to re-seasoning process.
Rinse and dry completely.
Apply a thin, even layer of melted solid vegetable shortening (or cooking oil If you prefer) to the cookware. Be sure to apply both inside and outside!
Place aluminum foil on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any drippings from the cookware.
Set oven temperature to 350 degrees F and place cookware upside down on the top oven rack.
Bake for 1 hour. After the hour, turn off the oven and allow cookware to cool inside the oven.
Once the cookware is cooled, remove from oven and store in a cool dry place.
Thanks to Danielle Lester for suggesting the topic for our blog!
Do you have a question you’d like answered by the H&W Hardware family? Visit our store and place your submission in the blog box or let one of us know and we’ll give you credit when we make our post!
DIY HOLIDAY GIFT #5: Washers Game
Looking to pass the time with friends and family this holiday season? Here’s an old fashioned favorite straight from the H&W Hardware family.
We’re giving away a free set of painted washers and PVC cap to the first 7 people who come in the store and mention this blog post. If you aren’t fast enough to snag a free game, we can still help you put together a game to call your very own.
Makes a quick and thoughtful Do-It-Yourself gift.
HOW TO PLAY:
- Playing Area: Choose an open area that allows for the 18ft between the two foul lines (front of target boxes).
- Object of the Game: Points are made by tossing washers into box or cup (center piece). The first player to reach 21 wins.
- Start of Game: To determine who will “pitch” first at the start of the game, each player/team will throw one washer toward the opposite board and whoever gets closest or into the cup will win the first throw of the game.
- Game Play: Players/teams shoot toards the same box. Player/team 1 throws ALL 3 washers, then player/team 2 throws their washers. If both players get a washer in the middle or in the box, they cancel each other out like in regular horseshoes. Points are added up for all valid washers. For the following rounds, the player/team that got points last goes first throwing all 3 washers.
- Scoring: Is determined after both players/teams have pitched all of their washers. Only 1 player/team may score per round but scores points for all washers that are closer than their opponents.
IN THE CUP= 3 POINTS
IN THE BOX= 1 POINT
NO SCORE= Washers that miss the box of bounce of the ground, players that step across the foul line
- To Win: Player/team that reaches 21 points. Both players/teams should complete all turns before winner is declared.
DIY HOLIDAY GIFT #4: SKELETON KEY SHADOW BOX
This DIY gift requires that you have a frame, but even with out a frame the finished product looks pretty cool. This sophisticated piece will delight and surprise when she finds out where it came from…Or, don’t tell and it will be our secret!
The options for this cool gift doesn’t stop with skeleton keys though. Fill the frame with fishing lures, make a collage out of house keys, small locks, nails…you name it.
Step by step here.
*Very cool idea House of Hepworths!
DIY HOLIDAY GIFT #3B: FABRIC HEX NUT BRACELET
We promise this is our last hardware inspired bracelet for the list, but we couldn’t help but post this fun twist to a plain fabric cuff. A similar bracelet retails at JCrew for $36( link ).
We just wanted to save you about…$33 dollars. ;)
- 4 inch wide piece of fabric long enough to wrap the wrist a few times loosely
- 1 dozen brass or stainless hex nuts
Step by step can be found here.
**This oh so cool idea is straight from the minds of HenryHappened.com. Just giving credit where credit is due.
If you have a cool DIY gift, stop by the store and drop it in our blog box. We’ll post it and give you credit, too!
DIY HOLIDAY GIFT #3: BRAIDED HEX NUT BRACELET
Taking hardware chic straight to the street with this braided hex nut bracelet perfect for a teenage girl who likes fashion forward edgy jewelry. Don’t let the simplistic design fool you as upscale designers sell similar products for $250.
- 3 strands of twine cut into one yard pieces
- 18 small brass hex nuts
Step by step here.
*Credit for this craft goes to Erica. Check out her page linked above for step by step instructions and images.
DIY HOLIDAY GIFT #2: HARDWARE INSPIRED CHESS SET
Shopping for the man in your life can be tough, but he doesn’t have to be a handyman to appreciate this bold chess set made with pieces that can be found right in our fasteners section.
- King: 1/2 ” threaded rod 4” long. From the bottom is screwed a flanged hex nut, a regular washer, an internally toothed washer, a long-sleeve hex nut, a circular washer, an externally toothed washer. Topped with a castle nut.
- Bishop: 1/2” threaded rod 3” long. On the very bottom a flanged hex nut, then an inverted castle nut, a regular washer, an externally toothed washer. Topped of with a cap nut
- Knight: 1/2” hex bolt (about 2 or 2.5” long) with, from the bottom: a flanged hex nut, an externally toothed washer, then a butterfly nut.
- Pawn: 1/2 ” hex bolt 1 1/2 ” long. and one flanged hex nut
- Rook: 1/2” threaded rod with a flanged hex nut on bottom and a castle nut on top
- Queen: 1/2” carriage bolt 3 1/2 ” long. From the bottom is screwed a flanged hex nut, then an internally toothed washer, a long sleeve hex nut, and 4 externally toothed washers
We also suggest getting extra washers which can be painted to quickly transform the game from chess to checkers.
**Credit for this super awesome hardware store gem goes to Julia. Check out her flicker stream to see pictures of all the pieces laid out.
DIY HOLIDAY GIFT #1: APPLE CINNAMON JELLY
In a JAM this holiday season trying to find gifts for friends that seem to have it all? Nothing beats a gift from the heart…especially when it can go straight in the tummy!
Here’s a quick and easy no fuss recipe sure to be a holiday smash:
APPLE CINNAMON JELLY
(yields 13 half pints; 10 min prep and 5 min cooking time)
- 7 cups unsweetened bottled apple juice
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup red-hot candies
- 9 cups sugar
STEP 1: Place the apple juice in a large kettle. Stir in pectin and butter.
STEP 2: Stirring constantly, bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
STEP 3: Stir in candies until dissolved and then stir in sugar.
STEP 4: Return to a rolling boil and keep for 1 minute continuing to stir.
STEP 5: Remove from heat and skim off foam.
STEP 6: Pour hot mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water bath.
Top 10 Tools to be Thankful For
1. Claw Hammer
2. Adjustable Wrench/Monkey Wrench
3. Screw Driver
3. Hand Saw
5. Allen Wrench
6. Tape Measure
9. Wire Stripper/Crimping Tool
10. Staple Gun
207 S. Pruett Street
Paragould, AR 72450
Mondays - Thursdays 8 AM - 5 PM
Fridays 8 AM - 5 PM
Saturdays 8 AM - 1 PM